Thursday, January 7, 2010

Here's where I am

Here's where I am--at the very end of the United States. When you watch The Weather Channel now, in addition to seeing how heavy your snow is on radar, you can catch a glimpse of just how far away this is. The U.S.' southernmost point. But look fast, The Weather Channel doesn't keep the whole map up very long.

We're four hours by car from Miami. My orientations all start from some point in the U.S. But we're 90 miles from Cuba! That's about the distance from Minneapolis to Mankato, from Madison to Milwaukee! And look how close The Yucatan Penninsula is (northeast tip of Mexico)--about an inch!

I can't ever get over this sense of parallel universes I have when I find Key West on a map. How can cruise ships be docking here, and I be riding a bike around when you are all up there, simultaneously enduring more snow? It's the simultaneousness that's hard to understand. At least two completely different realities existing and playing themselves out at the same time. Each in full "bloom," each ongoing. Which one to subscribe to? What other realities are there?

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for this educational map. I was wondering how we got to Miami in about 14 minutes. Now I can see that it's not really that far.
    I got scolded by the male flight attendant because I got up and moved just before the plane took off. The guy sitting in front of me smelled like booze and alcohol and there didn't seem to be any reason to endure that, so I moved next to someone who looked like one of those young guys in a white shirt and tie who come to your door and want to save you by giving you a copy of The Book of Mormon. Thankfully, he felt asleep instantly. Key West was probably a hard sell for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blog! Love your writing! Love you! Pidge

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got BY FAR the very worst sunburn of my life just off of Sugarloaf Key. It was 30+ years ago and I don't have melanoma yet but hey, I'm just barely over the burn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebecca--I'm GLAD you're over the burn. What were you doing down here 30 years ago?

    Pidge--LOVE YOU, TOO. Thanks for reading (& for commenting). This is much fun.

    Kim-o----xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Florida Keys...... 30+ years ago....... honeymoon #1

    ReplyDelete